Luxury vinyl flooring is a popular option for homes but how should you clean it and what should you avoid? Our helpful guide will help you keep your vinyl flooring looking beautiful.
Regular maintenance of luxury vinyl flooring
All vinyl flooring requires regular cleaning and maintenance to keep it looking its best. If the flooring is not well cared for, it will look dull and tired. The following tips are recommended:
- Vacuum or sweep vinyl flooring regularly, and always before mopping.
- Deal with spillages and stains straightaway. Wipe up any spills as soon as they occur and deal with stains with a damp mop; stubborn stains can be tackled with a paste of baking soda mixed with water. Gently rub the paste into the stain until it disappears and rinse away the paste residue thoroughly.
- Mop regularly with a damp mop and plain water.
Deep cleaning vinyl flooring
How often you deep clean your vinyl flooring will depend on foot and paw traffic! After vacuuming or sweeping the floor as usual, check for scuff marks – these can usually be buffed out with a damp microfibre cloth. For hard to reach places (along skirting boards for example) use a soft damp brush, a baby’s toothbrush is fine, and baking powder paste. Remember to remove any remaining paste. Mop the floor with a microfibre mop and a solution of white vinegar (one cup of white vinegar in one gallon of warm water). If you like suds, or if the flooring is particularly grubby, add a couple of drops of washing up liquid to the solution. Your mop should be damp, not dripping wet, and you should replace dirty water with a fresh solution as often as necessary. Always rinse the floor well after cleaning, with plain water and a mop, and always dry the floor thoroughly to reduce the risk of moisture penetrating any seams in the vinyl.
Dos and don’ts for maintaining your vinyl flooring
- Use a vinyl backed doormat at entrances to reduce the amount of dirt and debris being brought onto the flooring from outside. Rubber backed mats are not recommended as they can cause a reaction with the vinyl that may leave marks.
- Use vinyl coasters/floor protectors under furniture legs to prevent damage such as scratches or dents.
- Lift furniture when moving it.
- Keep pets’ claws well-trimmed.
- Wipe pet paws thoroughly after walks.
- Use floor polish on vinyl flooring – it will damage the floor.
- Use abrasive cleaners or stiff brushes – they can remove the shine and damage the surface of the vinyl.
- Leave freshly cleaned floors wet.
- Use a steam cleaner on vinyl flooring – the heat and moisture will cause damage and may invalidate your warranty.
- Drag heavy furniture across vinyl flooring – it will cause scrapes and tears.
- Wear high heels, particularly heels that come to a point like stilettos.
Once luxury vinyl flooring becomes damaged, it has to be replaced so following these simple steps will keep your flooring in tip top condition for as long as possible.
Our range of luxury vinyl flooring is available in wood effect vinyl floor planks and in stone effect luxury vinyl tiles so why not order some free samples today and see which you prefer? For any questions on how to clean vinyl flooring, our experienced sales team is available to help on 01937 830948 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org